Forums bandwidth issues

Phillip Susi psusi at cfl.rr.com
Fri Mar 10 15:56:29 GMT 2006

Based on the new message on the forums, it seems there are some
bandwidth issues with it.  I just thought I'd point out that it looks
like every page contains embedded CSS rather than linking to an external
style sheet.  If this one change were made it would lower the bandwidth
usage by ~15% ( the style sheet makes up ~15,000 bytes of every page ).
It also looks like there is quite a bit of space used for common things
that appear on every page, which could be moved to a shared external
linked document.  These two changes are not very hard to make and could
cut bandwidth usage by as much as 25%.

A more difficult change would be to change the pages to be generated in
XML with a linked XSL style sheet.  The client only needs to download
the style sheet once, then each page they visit is very small chunk of
XML data that is transformed to html on the client side.  The server can
be configured to detect clients that don't understand XSL and perform
the translation for them, and cache the results.  I think that at this
point though, most modern web browsers support this.  This could
potentially cut bandwidth usage by as much as 80%.

Not only would these things help keep the costs of running the servers
down, but it makes browsing the forums faster for the users.