New theme

Manu Cornet lmanul at ubuntu.com
Fri Mar 10 13:37:12 GMT 2006

Hi !

Just thought I'll add a small comment about this. First, I think the
overall feeling (GTK theme, metacity theme, new
a-little-glossy-but-not-too-much widgets) look *really* cool !

I'd just say that the flashy orange, while it looks good in some places,
doesn't fit everywhere. I think all these decorations shouldn't hit you
in the face. Basically, I guess having this orange on small surfaces,
and in places where your attention is needed is a good thing, but not
everywhere. For example :

* On the slider bar (totem, rhythmbox), it looks good because the
surface is very small (just a few pixels high).

* On the workspace switcher (both the applet seen in the panel and the
rectangle coming in the middle of the screen while you're switching), it
doesn't fit. The active window in the active workspace appears flashy
orange on all its surface, and I think this is too much of it.

* If you click on the volume controller,

	http://www.manucornet.net/GNOME/flashy.png

(unless there's a problem on my box). The slider looks good, but the
highlight itself (behind the speaker) is too much, I think.

* The progress bar,

	http://www.manucornet.net/GNOME/flashy_progress_bar.png

is just the limit I think. It is very flashy, but it something on which
you want the user's attention, and it's not on the screen for a very
long time anyway. But I would still prefer it more discrete.

* The window title bar is okay since the gradient makes it looks more
subtle (and the metacity theme rocks ! ^^), but it still looks too
flashy I think, and occupies a lot of surface (if you take one or two
steps back, it's the main thing you'll see on your screen, and it's not
where your attention should be).

I want to try being constructive here: what I would suggest is simply
replace, when it gets too much in your face, this orange with the
lighter orange used for the App/Places/System menus:

	http://www.manucornet.net/GNOME/light.png

(or the selected text color, which is the same and looks great). For the
title bar and progress bars, I would also shift the whole gradient
either a bit towards lighter colors, or a bit towards brown (brown is
still the main Ubuntu color, isn't it ?).

But again, for the global feeling and 95% of the work, it  definitely
*rocks* !! Thanks to all who worked on this, really :)

Cheers,
Manu