Dapper: Logout dialog offers 'Sleep' even when it was disabled.

Karl Hegbloom hegbloom at pdx.edu
Fri Mar 10 03:22:03 GMT 2006

I've got the 'sleep' variable commented off
in /etc/default/acpi-support, since it does not work right with my
laptop.  But the log-out dialog and the gnome-power-manager still offer
'Sleep' as an option.  Further, pressing the sleep button on the logout
dialog does put it into S3, when it should not.  The button shouldn't
even appear.

 pmi capabilities

... prints only 'hibernate'.

I will report this in Malone if someone will tell me what application to
file it on.

It would also be nice if that setting was available from a GUI.

The problem I have is that I've got a rare laptop with a larger LCD than
the BIOS supports out-of-the-box.  I have to run 915resolution on boot
to get the full 1400x1050 resolution.  It's all fuzzy at 1024x768, the
highest VBIOS setting prior to running 915resolution.  When it wakes
back up from hibernation, it's fine, but from S3, the display is not
right, and I have to power it off quickly.  Perhaps it needs to run the
915resolution after posting the VBIOS?

On another topic...  network-manager is working great.  I just installed
it, and it works with no trouble.  The network configuration GUI is, of
course, not yet totally compatible with it.

Q: When the ext3 fs are built by the installer, are they created with
'dir_index', or any other performance enhancing features?

--
Karl Hegbloom <hegbloom at pdx.edu>