Run arbitrary commands at boot time?

Rocco Stanzione grasshopper at linuxkungfu.org
Thu Mar 9 22:42:40 GMT 2006

Back in my Mandrake days we had a file, /etc/rc.local, where we could put
arbitrary commands to be executed with root privileges at the end of the init
stage, just before the login prompt or ?dm was presented.  A *very*
frequently asked question on irc is where to put a script or command to run
like this, and there doesn't seem to be a very good answer.  The most common
answer is something like "I guess put it at the end
of /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh" but I don't think that's the ideal solution.  I
see that /etc/rc.boot/ would get sourced with run-parts if it existed, but
that looks to happen at a pretty early stage (by /etc/init.d/rcS) - before
networking comes up, for example, so not necessarily as useful as it could
be.

Could that be moved closer to the end of the init process, or could we get
something like /etc/rc.local?

Thanks,

Rocco Stanzione