apt-get

John Augustine jaugustine at vivnet.net
Wed Mar 8 17:32:14 GMT 2006

Alex Mauer wrote:
> martin hooper wrote:
> >> I notice that when I use apt-get to install software on Ubuntu it
> takes
> >> two passes to actually install.
> >>
> >> ie Unpacking all the debs first then the setting up phase.
> >>

> One thing I've noticed along these lines is that a lot of the "setting
> up phase" time is taken up with running 'ldconfig' each time a library
> package is installed.  I think this could be optimized a lot by running
> 'ldconfig' only once per install session, after all library packages (or
> a dependency-based batch of them are installed.  Anyone see any problems
> with this?
>
> -Alex Mauer "hawke"
Sounds like this would involve removing ldconfig from the
postinst/postrm scripts in the package.  Not sure if this is acceptable,
but a new process would have to be implemented where apt detects
libraries being installed and runs ldconfig after they are all installed.

Sounds like more work than its worth...its still going to take around
the same amount of time for ldconfig to update each new installed library.