apt-get

John Augustine jaugustine at vivnet.net
Wed Mar 8 17:24:32 GMT 2006

martin hooper wrote:
> I notice that when I use apt-get to install software on Ubuntu it takes
> two passes to actually install.
>
> ie Unpacking all the debs first then the setting up phase.
>
> I was wondering if apt-get cannot be re-written to do both phases after
> each other for each package??  It would be much quicker I guess to do it
> that way rather than the way it is now.
>
> I'm not a programmer just wondering if there was a reason for doing the
> original way.

Thats funny.  If you've ever used a RedHat based machine with YUM
installed....you'd understand why this is done separately.

By unpacking all the files, then installing all the files instead of
unpacking and installing each package at a time, the total time for
installation is drastically decreased.

I would say, through this method, installing 800 packages with apt takes
probably 10 minutes less time than with yum, without including download
time(yum's meta-cache is horrible slow as well).