apt-get

Lucas Nussbaum lucas at lucas-nussbaum.net
Wed Mar 8 11:28:35 GMT 2006

On 08/03/06 at 09:44 -0000, martin hooper wrote:
> I notice that when I use apt-get to install software on Ubuntu it takes
> two passes to actually install.
>
> ie Unpacking all the debs first then the setting up phase.
>
> I was wondering if apt-get cannot be re-written to do both phases after
> each other for each package??  It would be much quicker I guess to do it
> that way rather than the way it is now.

Why would it be slower to do :
for i in 1..10 do
  doA
end
for i in 1..10 do
  doB
end

than:
for i in 1..10 do
  doA
  doB
end

(the loop overhead is negligible here)

A good way to make the whole process faster is to download the next
package while installing the current package, but it's not trivial to
implement.

If the download time is important for you, consider running apt-get
--force-yes --download-only dist-upgrade in a crontab.
--
| lucas at lucas-nussbaum.net   http://www.lucas-nussbaum.net/ |
| jabber: lucas at nussbaum.fr             GPG: 1024D/023B3F4F |