Spec suggestion : dependancies with a non-networked computer

Irvin Piraman ippiraman at gmail.com
Mon Mar 6 12:07:16 GMT 2006

We already have this on Synaptic.

Qouting from https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NonBroadbandUsers:

The use cases 1+2 to download a package (with dependencies) from a different
machine (e.g. at work/university) is adressed by the latest synaptic in
dapper. It can generate a download script (currently using wget, but trivial
to change) that can be used on the fast connected machine and will download
the packages that are required on the home-machine. Then the directory with
the downloaded packages is carried home and importet with synaptic. It will
take care for checking versions and md5 sums.

On 3/6/06, Lionel Dricot (aka Ploum) <zeploum at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I hear often that there's a problem for installing applications in an
> Ubuntu without internet or on a slow connexion. Indeed, under Windows, those
> people simply download .exe from the computer of a friend, put them on an
> USB key and go back to install the .exe on their computer.
>
> Under Ubuntu, it's not possible anymore because of dependancies. How to
> know wich paquet you must install ? (I have a few personnal stories with
> this kind of problem when I was a young debianner ;-) )
>
> So, I suggest to create a specification to workaround this problem. My
> idea is the following :
>
> @home
> - In synaptic or g-a-i, add an option (in a menu, no need of a big button)
> : simulate this installation
> - This option create a file (txt, xml, whatever) with the exact list of
> packages you need. The user is asked where he want to save this index file.
> - The user putt the index file on his USB key
>
> @friend
> - The user goes to his friend's computer.
> - On http://packages.ubuntu.com, he can upload his index file. That gives
> him a page with the list of package he must download.
> - He downloads all the packages and put them on his USB key, in the same
> directory as the index file
>
> @home
> - Back home
> - The user plugs his USB key and simply double click on the index file.
> (or "perform a simulated installation" in synatpic ? or whatever ?)
> - The system automatically install all packages and look for them in the
> directory where the index file is. (a kind of dpkg -i *.deb )
>

> Of course, it won't be for Dapper. It's more a middle term goal so far.
> But what do you think about the general idea ? Is there really a need to
> solve this problem ? Is this kind of solution something that can be
> discussed or far too unrealistic ?
>
> Lionel

: Irvin P. Piraman
: netgarage.thefluxproject.com