Easy to submit bugs

John Nilsson john at milsson.nu
Sun Mar 5 17:04:40 GMT 2006

On Sat, 2006-03-04 at 13:39 +0100, Lean Fuglsang wrote:
> Hello,
> I think it should be very easy to submit bugs. At the moment people have
> to make a lot of decisions, is the bug already submitted, what module is
> the bug in.
> For new users this is very frustrating, and the bug may never be
> submitted.

I have spent some time thinking about this, and I keep coming back to
the idea that the easiest model would be that the bug is triage per mail
before it enters the bug system.

The user somehow, either per mail or per some application sends a
message to a mailing list.

Some mailing-list handler adds a few meta data headers that can be
modified by anyone responding to the mail. Possibly adding the result of
a search in the database for related bugs or packages.

Once the bug is triaged someone alters a special header in a reply, the
mailing-list handler validates the sender and if all is OK adds the bug
to the bug system.

The interface would thus be somewhat similar to the bots in
IRC-channels.

Regards,
John