Regarding SCIM

Loïc Martin lomartin3 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 5 16:36:55 GMT 2006

Ming Hua a écrit :

>On Fri, Mar 03, 2006 at 02:46:23PM +0600, மு.மயூரன்  wrote:
>

>>But make sure  whether all input methods are working or not.
>>

>But we need all kinds of help from users to achieve that.  The scim
>module package currently in dapper supports more than twenty languages,
>there is no way for the developers to test all of them (even if we want
>to do that, it's still very hard to tell if an input method of a
>language you don't know is working or not).  So we need users to test
>the packages in dapper, see if it works for his/her language and input
>method, then report bugs and provide feedbacks.
>
>Ming
>2006.03.04

I'd like to try them on Dapper (I installed Dapper for that reason), at
least Chinese, Tamil and possibly Japanese and Korean (not so thorough
for these two languages).

What is stopping me atm is that the IM variables are not set by default
(i.e. scim and the packages relevant for the language gets installed,
but there's no way to trigger it).

It's not like nobody can't configure it by themselves, but more the idea
that to get a relevant testing, it would be really nice to now exactly
which method is the "official" one to get scim configured and ready to
use. That way, the (hopefully) many users testing scim would be assured
they're not filling false bug and increasing the noise in launchpad (or
in this  list, or in user's list) because they didn't read the doc
carefully enough.

I now everyone's time is precious and wouldn't want to increase the
burden. Just a little explanation on this list (or on user's list) and
I'm on my way to test/fill bugs (though I'm not expecting many bugs
from  scim :) )

Thanks,
Loïc