Firefox and the `you have chosen to open ...' dialogue

Dennis Kaarsemaker dennis at kaarsemaker.net
Fri Mar 3 13:01:47 GMT 2006

On vr, 2006-03-03 at 12:40 +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:

> I'm still getting lots of gripes about this, mainly in bug reports and
> mainly of the form `I don't like this'.  It's a shame that (with a few
> notable exceptions) we've not had much of the way of clear and
> reasoned argument, and not in the right venue either.

"It is breaking embedders" (bug 32934) is the only real bug I saw about
it, other bugreports are mainly a lot of people who don't expect/like
the new behaviour.

To add my 2¢: I think it's insecure to automatically launch programs. I
like to live on the edge though and after a while I got quite fond of
this behaviour. Bug 32934 should be taken care of though.

> I don't have a strong view about this issue and given the level of
> pushback I think the right thing to do is some kind of user survey.
> Do we have any mechanism for holding a poll of some kind ?

The Fridge has a poll taking thing.
--
Dennis K.
 - Linux for human beings - http://www.ubuntu.com