installing non utf8 locale

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Fri Mar 3 07:20:59 GMT 2006

Hi João!

João Pinto [2006-02-25 10:36 +0000]:
> I would like to set my system locale to pt_PT ISO-8859-1 (I need to use
> some applications which don't support utf-8 and I will get into troubles
> editing their lang strings with the wrong locale).
>
> On Hoary and Breezy I was able to do it by following:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LocaleConf
>
> On Dapper, even if I select pt_PT ISO-8859-1 the lang environment vars
> get correctly set but then I get missing file errors because the
> corresponding locale files are not generated on /usr/lib/locale .
>
> Should I fill a bug report for localeconf ?

localeconf is not supported (it's in universe); you are welcome to
file a bug, though. :) However, I advise to rework this wiki page,
since it will only confuse users.

We do not support non-UTF-8 locales, therefore it is not very apparent
how to enable them. The locale-gen manpage describes the process. In
short,

  sudo locale-gen pt_PT

will generate the locale.

Thanks,

Martin

--
Martin Pitt        http://www.piware.de

In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?