Problems booting Ubuntu on old Macintoshes with SCSI disk instead of IDE

Ben Collins bcollins at ubuntu.com
Thu Jun 22 08:07:44 BST 2006

On Tue, 2006-06-20 at 18:47 +0200, lorenzo ayuda wrote:
> cintosh and all old macintoshes have SCSI hard disks instead IDE.
> I think the kernel, on Ubuntu and Kubuntu distribution, has the SCSI
> modules compiled separately. Then on installation time this scsi
> modules are loaded from the ramdisk. But on booting time there is not
> ramdisk and then the kernel can not load the SCSI module and can not
> mount the main disk.

I don't think we really support booting without the assistance of a
ramdisk/initramfs.

You need to configure your boot loader to make use of this ramdisk. I
know that even on old Macintoshes that require BootX, this is possible.

--
Ubuntu     - http://www.ubuntu.com/
Debian     - http://www.debian.org/