Tracker in Edgy?

David Nielsen david at lovesunix.net
Fri Jun 30 21:07:14 BST 2006

fre, 30 06 2006 kl. 20:51 +0100, skrev Jamie McCracken:
> John Richard Moser wrote:
> > Data journaling does not magically solve anything, it just slows things
> > down.  As for meta-data journaling, different implementations have
> > different problems; some methods can truncate if you're shrinking a
> > file, some methods can zero-fill a file for whatever reason, and some
> > will just remove the file.
>

> With FS that support atomic file operations , it gives you protection
> against half written records ( and I presume resizes too else it
> wouldn;t be atomic then!). Updates to a file either happen completely or
> not at all.
>
> To quote Reiser4 : Reiser4 is an atomic filesystem, which means that
> your filesystem operations either entirely occur, or they entirely
> don't, and they don't corrupt due to half occuring. We do this without
> significant performance losses, because we invented algorithms to do it
> without copying the data twice.
>
> This is what Im referring to wrt to making mysql super robust (I presume
> *data* journaling gives you atomic updates). You shouldn't have to worry
> about DBs corrupting with an atomic journalised FS (providing its not
> buggy of course!).

Let's just get Reiser4 and it's cracktastistness into mainline before
advocating it as a solution to our problems. I've done testing with it
and it's not quite ready yet (and by this I mean it tends to eat a few
babies here and there).

I doubt we'll see Reiser4 support in Edgy so this a rather mood point.

But in theory atomic operations should provide good protection from
corruption, sadly we just don't to my knowledge have any filesystems
available in Ubuntu currently that do this.

- David

P.S. can someone please fix the mailinglist behaviour that causes me to
be put on CC, reply-to should be the list not the author.