Unattended updates

Kai Hendry hendry at iki.fi
Fri Jun 30 06:27:33 BST 2006

http://natalian.org/archives/2006/04/06/unattended-upgrades/

Why doesn't Ubuntu consider doing unattended background updates?

I see you have a couple of specs on this issue. Though they seem to deal
with the myriad of problems associated with the prompt, password, check,
update, close procedure. Why have that update-notifier routine at all?

https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+spec/update-manager-edgy
https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+spec/improved-update-procedure
https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+spec/one-click-updates-in-gnome
https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+spec/update-notifier-non-admin-mode

I am sure people will argue that people need to check the specific
updates for some reason or another.

Though most people don't care about the specific updates. They want a
secure up-to-date system with the least fuss.

Best wishes,