Help Porting Our TomeRaider to Ubuntu

Micah J. Cowan micah at cowan.name
Thu Jun 29 01:39:32 BST 2006

On Wed, Jun 28, 2006 at 06:43:40PM -0500, Scott Dier wrote:
> Ivan Krstic wrote:
> > Free software (software libre, as opposed to gratis software) by
> > definition doesn't restrict its users from modifying it or
> > redistributing it [1].
>
> Now one thing thats been seen in the past is not releasing the UI code
> for other operating systems but only open sourcing the application and
> the needed UI code for X11 based operating systems.

Such licenses are firmly outside the domain of FOSS. Does Ubuntu include
any such packages in main or universe?

Also, it doesn't really matter, but IIRC I haven't seen any software
that's open only for X11-based operating systems; only for operating
systems which are themselves open. Note that one might term a Windows
version packaged with Cygwin (or MS proprietary X servers) an "X11-based
operating system", whereas there are many Linux systems that are not
X11-based.

--
Micah J. Cowan
http://micah.cowan.name/