Bug pushing (help! - what is the correct protocol?)

Sitsofe Wheeler sitsofe at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 27 08:24:18 BST 2006

On Tue, 2006-06-27 at 07:31 +0200, Sebastian Heinlein wrote:
> Am Montag, den 26.06.2006, 22:13 +0100 schrieb Sitsofe Wheeler:
> > "Re: update-manager shows no changelog for various packages Posted by
> > Sitsofe Wheeler at 2006-06-23 11:25:42 BST
> > This problem seems to have been solved for most dapper-update packages.
> > I guess changelogs.ubuntu.com is hosting the missing changelogs..."
> >
> > Thanks for fixing it. Was this comment helpful because for a while I was
> > struggling to see if the people who might need to fix it knew about it
> > (coincidentally the day I was going to post again asking about it was
> > the day I noticed it had been fixed).
>
> Please do not push bugs in the future. I have already commented on the
> bug that it is known to the developers. This way you make the bug
> notification e-mails even more unusable.

I hear what you are saying and in fact have reprimanded people for doing
exactly the same thing over here:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2006-May/018043.html

However, because my psychic skills aren't that great I can't tell if
someone has seen my comment in a bug report which has metamorphised
across its life.

The bug was originally pointing out problems in update manager but on
2006-06-16 people had started posting about empty changelogs. These
folks were given no reply so on 2006-06-19 I do some investigation (I
also hint it that I need you to make a call on the bug). I find that the
problem is due to changelogs.ubuntu.com and post a comment saying as
much.

By 2006-06-19 there has still been no reply and I've been avoiding
security updates to allow me to test the bug... In desperation due to
not getting any feedback in the bug I cry out for help in the devel
list. It is unclear where bugs on the different Ubuntu websites should
go and the problem isn't really in update-manager. Perhaps I have not
heard anything because I have not filed it in the right place (after all
it's not really an update-manager bug). Perhaps the person who controls
changelogs.ubuntu.com doesn't know about the problem and it will be
quickly fixed when they do. Whatever the problem no one is communicating
with me. Perhaps they read devel and they will reply there.

I hear nothing and on the 23rd I think about filing another devel post
discussing the lack of feedback. I check the problem again and it has
gone. I note this in the bug.

Sebastian - what are users meant to do in this situation? I'm sorry I
did the wrong thing but I felt backed into a corner and I didn't know it
was wrong (I waited before doing so). I quite honestly had no idea what
was going on. Was I on the wrong list? Did it word it poorly? All I can
say is sorry and please tell me what to do next time.

If you are saying that bugs never get lost in the cracks I will believe
you and act accordingly.

--
Sitsofe | http://sucs.org/~sits/