ld flag that gives ~40% startup time boost

James Laver james.laver at gmail.com
Fri Jun 23 07:16:38 BST 2006

As far as I'm concerned, that's 1 part of it. The problem with ubuntu
is it's a binary distribution, and therefore it can't take specific
advantage of the hardware on which it's being run (just like windows
can't). Now I know things like mplayer have the dynamic extensions
thingy where they select what code to run based on the processor's
capabilities, which is great, but what about openoffice? OO.o runs a
hell of a lot faster on my gentoo box with my relevant compiler flags
than it does on ubuntu without them.

Then there is the issue of code quality, as you say. A lot of it needs
majorly cleaning up (or in some cases just starting again because it's
that bad). I personally think the best way to do this is to move to
development in a dynamic language with a highly optimising compiler
(eg. stalin for scheme can produce C code on the other end that is
faster than highly manually optimised C code). Then when you add GCC's
optimisations on top of that, it's looking good. Because you're using
a simpler language there's also less room for mistakes = fewer bugs =
more reliability etc.

On 23/06/06, Vincent Trouilliez <vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr> wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-06-22 at 21:31 +0100, James Laver wrote:
> > Obviously start up speed is a big factor, it's what everyone whines
> > about, and I mean everyone.
>
> That would be anyone minus me then. Although slow load time always
> annoys me in Gnome apps, it's only a very minor inconvenience. What does
> really concern me however, is the overall sluggishness of Gnome apps
> when they run, since Windows XP on the same machine runs at the speed of
> light in comparison, as do pretty much any other Linux apps, small or
> big, when they are either KDE or X11 apps.
> Sadly, although I am no developer, I feel&fear the reason for this
> sluggishness is built deep into Gnome and only massive major
> redesign/rework of the whole thing would cure it. I doubt some compiler
> flags would fix anything (or it would already have been done...).
>

> --
> Vince

--James Laver
TCPA WILL TAKE AWAY YOUR COMPUTER RIGHTS :http://www.againsttcpa.com/index.shtml