6.06 ppc desktop iso size.....

Matthew Nicholson sjoeboo at sjoeboo.com
Wed Jun 21 21:16:03 BST 2006

forgive me if this is the wrong list, i'll be more than happy to post to
-users if someone things that would be better...

the issue is this:

so, i downloaded the ubuntu 6.06 lts ppc desktop image to my INTEL
desktop, so that i could burn it to cd and use it on my powerbook. all
sounds good. i've done it with breezy before, and the dapper betas etc.
the image downloads and its final size in 701MB (701.1 rather), which is
1.1MB bigger than most cds (at 700MB), which,is normally no problem,
lots of times these images are slightly bigger. So, i pop a blank 700MB
cd in to my drive, right click the image, and select write to disk. the
write to disk dialog pops (i'm assuming this is nautilus-burn's area),
and i take the defaults and say Write. right away i get a dialog saying:

"Reload a rewritable or blank disk

Please replace the disc in the drive with a supported disc with at least
702MiB free. The following disk types are supported: CD-R, CD-RW, DVD+R,
DVD+RW
"

everytime. thing is, in the past "oversize" images have burned fine. i
transfer the iso to my powerbook, and burn it in OSX, on the exact same
blank cd, and its not problem.

oh, and i also downloaded the iso 3 times from 3 different servers to
make sure it wasn't a problem during the transfer or anything.

CAn anyone shed any light on this? I find it funny that Ubuntu 6.06
cannot burn a Ubuntu 6.06 PPC CD.......

matt nicholson