Timed login? Asking for password?!

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Fri Jun 16 20:04:37 BST 2006

On Fri, 2006-06-16 at 18:25 +0800, Joel Bryan Juliano wrote:
> I was about to take my 3rd prelim exam this day, then the IT guys from
> my school called me up for an emergency. They was asking why does all
> of the computers was asking for the admin password?, isn't it risky to
> give that password to more the 300 students who will take their exams
> online. I asked them why does this happen, then I rushed to the IT
> dept, and troubleshoot the problem, it seems that the newest update
> from the apt-proxy made this happen......... arrg, I still have 3 more
> exams today... what happened with the updates? is it intended be
> supposed to be that way?? And then if it is, man, I'm in big trouble.

I think I am having a similar problem as well.
The machine is a stand alone desktop machine, just my home computer,
nothing complicated. Since I am the only user of this machine, I set up
GDM to log me in automatically, to avoid typing my password.
However since the GDM update yesterday, when I start the computer, GDM
fails to log me in automatically, and instead, displays a black screen
with a tiny, border less window, prompting me for my user password...
I tried to tale a picture of it, but all attempts failed, I guess CRT's
don't make it easy for a digital camera to make a pic........

--
Vince, surprised and annoyed...