i686 optimization

Jack Wasey gmane at jackwasey.com
Wed Jun 14 23:10:59 BST 2006

Pavel Roitberg wrote:
> Gianmarco Leone wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> considering that Dapper is LTS, couldn't Edgy be 686-optimized?
> Its not worth it -i686 does not have a consoderable performance impact
> for most programs.

So why not have -i686, -k7 etc for packages where it does make a
difference? We already do this for kernel and to some extent for libc6.
Compression libs are used often in the background, and some rendering or
3d stuff would definitely benefit and be used if falling back when no
fancy graphics card is present. What else? Encryption libs?

Why not auto-detect processor type on install, and choose a handful of
key k7 686 or whatever other sub-arch packages?