gksu / sudo in Dapper: A non privileged user needs to run network-admin and gnome-cups-manager

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Tue Jun 13 07:30:59 BST 2006

Hi,

Erling Ringen Elvsrud [2006-06-13  7:51 +0200]:
> Hello,
>
> Scenario: 60 teachers currently use Breezy on laptops. I want to
> gradually migrate all 60 to Dapper. One of the adjustments compared to
> the current Breezy install I want to do, is to allow the teachers to run
> network-admin and gnome-cups-manager. How can I enable access to those
> programs for a non privileged user?
>
> I'm a bit confused how gksu / gconf / sudo works together and how I can
> enable access to a single application: can anyone shed some light on
> this issue?

gnome-cups-manager does not need root privileges. Just put everyone
who should become a printer admin into the 'lpadmin' group:

  sudo adduser joe lpadmin

(for user joe).

Allowing normal users to run a particular app with root privs is
configured in /etc/sudoers (use 'visudo' to edit it!) Please read man
sudoers for details. You can either add the teachers one by one, e.g
.g with

  joe ALL=(ALL) /usr/bin/network-admin

or put the users into a special group and just do

  %netadmin ALL=(ALL) /usr/bin/network-admin

HTH,

Martin

--
Martin Pitt              http://www.piware.de