Hibernate and Media Centres

Who mailforwho at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 13 00:03:31 BST 2006

On 6/12/06, Matt Zimmerman <mdz at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 09, 2006 at 05:27:57PM +0100, Who wrote:
> > I am wondering about the possibility of using a specially set up case
> > of the hibernate feature to allow a 'quick boot' (not quite 'instant
> > on', as I read thawing takes 40 seconds...) mode for a home theatre
> > PC.
>
> I think suspend-to-RAM is a better fit for this use case, since the resume
> process is much faster.

I understood that suspend-to-Ram required the PC to remain on...?Also,
would it not require the user to put the OS into the state they wanted
to find it in before suspending?

For example, if they were working on many office documents that they
didn't want to be around when the PC was behaving as a media centre
they would have to close them before suspending - rather than being
able to suspend once in the desired 'Media Centre' state and reload
that state time and time again, preserving the 'Office state' if they
desired, as I was hoping might be possible...