Installing a compiler by default

Erast Benson erast at gnusolaris.org
Fri Jun 9 20:46:58 BST 2006

On Sat, 2006-06-10 at 05:29 +1000, Adam Conrad wrote:
> Anyone who thinks that having build-essential installed will somehow
> make life easier for "casual developers" or "people who want install
> from tarballs" has obviously never tried using it for those cases.  You
> will still need a mess of libfoo-dev packages to provide headers for the
> dependencies of whatever you're trying to compile, etc.

Adam, the whole issue is around drivers, and not user-space apps.
For source drivers, you only need kernel headers pre-installed. Than
"solutions" like DKMS and other wrappers will work OK.

But as I outlined before, the issue is very deep in the Linux kernel
itself, which is not providing stable kernel interfaces for its drivers.

Erast