Installing a compiler by default

Murray Cumming murrayc at murrayc.com
Fri Jun 9 14:43:26 BST 2006

> On Fri, 09 Jun 2006 14:40:00 +0200
> Jan Claeys <lists at janc.be> wrote:
>
>> Op vr, 09-06-2006 te 04:01 -0700, schreef Micah J. Cowan:
>> > At least, I've yet to
>> > encounter a user who actually found a way to worsen their situation
>> > because a compiler happened to be handy for them.
>>
>> Oh, it's easy: they compile newer versions of kernels, drivers &
>> applications and then wonder why everything breaks when they do a
>> dist-upgrade...
>>

> Uh-huh.
>
> We learn by making mistakes.

This would be quite a serious mistake.

> Is Ubuntu in the business of protecting the "silly lusers" from
> themselves?

So far people have been thanking Ubuntu for making things easier,
regardless of those people (not necessarily yourself) who think only
stupid people would be thankful for it.

[snip]

In some rare cases we must unfortunately choose between ease of use and
some feature. This is not such a choice - people are still free to install
build-essentials. So there's no need to be nasty about it.

Murray Cumming
murrayc at murrayc.com
www.murrayc.com
www.openismus.com