Installing a compiler by default

Andrew Zajac arzajac at gmail.com
Thu Jun 8 21:52:24 BST 2006

On 6/8/06, Matt Zimmerman <mdz at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> Playing the role of a user looking for gcc, I searched the offline
> documentation (yelp) for "gcc", and did not find such instructions.  Even
> so, I don't think that adding instructions would fully address the
> problem.

> All of these except step 4 are usually answered by a single  document
which
> applies to all distributions equally.

Actually, then people would ask where the linux source is, since ubuntu will
only ship with the linux-headers packages - which is pretty
ubuntu-specific.  It's a very common question on the forums, too.

> What reason is there *not* to install it?

Only the ones you mentioned.  I think it will help a few people, but not
solve the greatest part of the problem.  So is it worth it?

azz