suggested framework for mass installation w/dapper?

Stephan Hermann sh at sourcecode.de
Thu Jun 8 14:04:36 BST 2006

Hi Sean,

On Thursday 08 June 2006 14:53, sean finney wrote:
> hi stephan,
>
> On Thu, Jun 08, 2006 at 02:01:21PM +0200, Stephan Hermann wrote:
> > FAI is very straight forward for installing masses of machines. You can
> > adjust everything and anything. I'm doing this for a project right now,
> > and I'm using ubuntu server as fai master.
>
> the main problem i see with this is that i don't have an extra server to
> run "ubuntu server" as an FAI host.  so this means that either i'd need
> a version of FAI that could support debian/ubuntu (was this what you
> meant by "multi distro"?) and be installed on a debian host, or
> otherwise a "cd-version" of FAI that i could drop into each client.

FAI runs mainly on Debian :) I needed ubuntu server because our HP amd64
blades are not supported by debian sarge amd64, their kernel is oopsing a lot
with the blades.

There is as well an i386 fai live cd, which you can boot from any host you
like, and the clients are connecting via pxe/dhcp/tftp to this server.
You can and have to adjust your dhcp config etc.

Regards

\sh