Mono required by ubuntu-desktop

Aigars Mahinovs aigarius at debian.org
Mon Jul 31 01:16:16 BST 2006

On 7/31/06, Corey Burger <corey.burger at gmail.com> wrote:
> I see this claim that "Mono is bloated" being bandied about a lot.
> However, I don't see much evidence either way. In this specific
> instance, do you have hard data that gthumb uses less memory than
> fspot?

Well, if we simply open both programs, the we see this:
gthumb (showing home directory): 17 Mb RSS - 10 Mb Shared = 7 Mb
f-spot (showing exactly nothing): 33 Mb RSS - 17 Mb Shared = 16 Mb

And there is no way to just browse something in f-spot without
importing it first. Kind of problematic for laptop users that prefer
keeping photos offloaded to external hard drives, except, when working
on a new batch. F-spot is pretty much useless beyond the most basic
"all photos ever taken in one folder on my supersized harddrive"
scenario.

--
Best regards,
    Aigars Mahinovs        mailto:aigarius at debian.org
 |     .''`.         Debian GNU/Linux              LAKA         |
 |    : :' :      http://www.debian.org  &  http://www.laka.lv  |