Mono required by ubuntu-desktop

John Richard Moser nigelenki at comcast.net
Sun Jul 30 20:10:37 BST 2006

Corey Burger wrote:
> On 7/29/06, Adam Conrad <adconrad at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>> Matt Zimmerman wrote:
>> Mono into

[...]

> I should note that upstream GNOME is having this very discussion, with
> the very point that Adam just raised. Keeping notes on a desktop is
> something users are increasingly doing (observe most business laptops
> shipping with OneNote these days). Tomboy is a powerful and easy to
> use note taker.

Most business laptops ship with a lot of things.  Most home laptops ship
with a lot of things.  Most of that lot doesn't get used.

Most home computers find the same thing, this is why stuff like Wild
Tangent and such winds up on all the machines at Best Buy; it's there
because some company wants to sell it.  Hell, AOL is there because some
company wants to sell it (Compuserv is there too, so is MSN).

Most business laptops ship with whatever some company thinks it's worth
marketing by paying laptop manufacturers to bundle it on business
machines.  It's no different than random games or useless applications
on your home desktop; any useful functionality you may find is for all
intents and purposes a complete accident.

> As for mono itself, I see no reason not to. There are an increasing
> number of good applications, including F-spot, which is also in the
> plans to include.

Ugh.  Can't dodge this bullet.

> Corey

- --

    new problems waiting out there.
                                                 -- Eric Steven Raymond

    We will enslave their women, eat their children and rape their
    cattle!
                  -- Bosc, Evil alien overlord from the fifth dimension