New ZeroConf Spec

Hervé Fache Herve at lucidia.net
Thu Jul 27 14:31:59 BST 2006

On 7/27/06, James Doc Livingston <doclivingston at gmail.com> wrote:
> I agree too. But I also think that hostnames (by themselves) are fairly
> useless for security with normal DNS.
> For authentication of host identity (which is what I assume you mean by
> hostname security) SSH uses RSA/DSA keys to ensure the host you're
> connecting to is the right one. HTTPS uses X.509 certificates for a
> similar purpose.

That's what I was also trying to say: if (<- isn't this the core of
the debate?) we want to make sure what host we're talking to, let's
ask them to identify themselves in a secure way.

Now, a number of people on this list are clearly saying there is no
point in doing that, so I'll keep reading until I understand their
point.

Hervé.