New ZeroConf Spec

Bruno Abinader brunoabinader at gmail.com
Tue Jul 25 04:02:45 BST 2006

2006/7/24, Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com>:

> On 7/24/06, Bruno Abinader <brunoabinader at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I don't know if this is the right place to post it but, anyway, how
> about
> > UPnP? As for thousand of router users (that have a shared internet
> > connection at home) like me it is just a boreness to configure every
> > computer with a proper port for gaim, amule, and others. What about UPnP
> > embedded inside network-manager?
>
> This is a good place to discuss it.
> Googling around at random, I ran into a comparison of UPnP and Zeroconf at
> http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/wireless/2002/12/20/zeroconf.html
> The comments are interesting:
> http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/user/view/cs_msg/12753
> mentions how one guy's laptop was rooted via upnp on a Linksys router!
>
> http://upnp.sourceforge.net/ has links to a couple of UPnP implementations
> for Linux.  Offhand they don't look as lively as Zeroconf/Avahi, but I
> wouldn't know.

I found that too some time ago, but it points to this page
http://www.virtualworlds.de/upnp/ (that is the "latest" upnp  api). The
author of this page says something about getting back to develop this API
this year, but I sincerely don't know how far it is. There is also a Gaim
Summer Of Code project about UPnP (
http://gaim.sourceforge.net/summerofcode/adam/) but again, I don't know how
usable it is right now.

Me, I really dislike the idea of supporting UPnP, at least by default,
> just as I dislike the idea of supporting Zeroconf by default;
> both open up potentially gaping new security holes.
> But I like the idea of supporting them for those who know what they're
> doing and are willing to take the risk, or if we can somehow secure them
> using IPSec in some way that feels natural and easy to the average home
> user.
> - Dan

I agree with you, this could be a serious security flaw if not handled
correctly.

[]s

--
Bruno de Oliveira Abinader