New ZeroConf Spec

Hervé Fache Herve at lucidia.net
Fri Jul 21 15:12:27 BST 2006

On 7/21/06, Florian Zeitz <Florian.Zeitz at gmx.de> wrote:
> Use a router/firewall? And don't use WLAN especially not unencrypted. If
> you don't accept incoming traffic how would anybody send data to a
> service in your house?

The problem, as pointed out by Ian earlier, resides in the fact that
we can't know for sure that the network is bound to the user's house,
unless the user defines it, and that might make ZeroConf too difficult
to push on to the typical Ubuntu user. At least this is my
understanding of the problem.

An advanced user might have a firewall, and block advertising of
services from both sides, then we know everything is 'local'. But how
can we automatically (script) make sure know this is the case? Well
the short answer is: we can't.

Now, that does not mean ZeroConf is not workable, it just means it
requires user intervention to make sure we don't get advertising of
services leaks. Also, the user needs to trust her local network users!
Hence the question about encryption.

Hervé.