embedded ubuntu?

Anderson Lizardo andersonlizardo at yahoo.com.br
Tue Jul 18 02:25:10 BST 2006

Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com> wrote:
> On 7/17/06, Anderson Lizardo <andersonlizardo at yahoo.com.br> wrote:
> > I personally find Scratchbox easy to use (I use it at work), but I
> can
> > test other tools too.
>
> Aw, Scratchbox is for people who want to get something done.
> REAL men fix packages so they can crosscompile without
> crutches like Scratchbox.

I agree with you. I suggested Scratchbox exactly because we want
something done to play with initially ;). Fixing packages to
cross-compile properly would be IMHO the correct long term solution.
BTW, I've received suggestions to consider OpenEmbedded[1], but I know
nothing about how it works.

> One of the main roadblocks to getting normal packages to crosscompile
> are evil uses of the AC_TRY_RUN autoconf macro.
> David Eggert has received several patches for autoconf which
> would allow supporting AC_TRY_RUN for cross-compiling.

How does it work specifically? Does It run the test program on the
target/emulator? Or does it simply compile for the host and run it?

> That might be a much lighter-weight way to get what Scratchbox
> provides.  I'm talking with him next week; anyone want a copy of
> those patches for entertainment value?

I would appreciate a copy of such patches (although I'm afraid I may
not play with them these days, college exams...).

What about building the initial base system in both Scratchbox and in a
traditional cross-compiling environment (e.g. plain
dpkg-cross/dpkg-buildpackage or Slind) and doing some comparisons? We
would then evaluate how much work is necessary to get the fixes done
for a small set of packages such as ubuntu-minimal (which I assume is
small enough to build in a few days).

I can give a try on Scratchbox, any volunteers for other build systems?

[1] http://www.openembedded.org/

Regards,
--
Anderson Lizardo