embedded ubuntu?

Geoffrey O'Callaghan geoffocal at optushome.com.au
Tue Jul 18 01:54:04 BST 2006

On Sun, 2006-07-16 at 09:36 -0700, Anderson Lizardo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Geoffrey O'Callaghan <geoffocal at optushome.com.au> wrote:
> > So... where can I find more information?  I'd like to add to the
> > development effort where possible, but in order to do so I really
> > need
> > to know the current state.

[snip]

> So, in what things are you willing to help? Is anyone interested in
> working with EmbeddedUbuntu? I currently have little free time to make
> big contributions, but I certainly can dedicate some time if more
> people volunteer to help.

Yes, I understand the problem.  From my perspective i'm looking to have
a cross compiling build system that utilizes ubuntu packages as source
input and creates arch specific debs that can then be combined into a
jffs or other style image ready to be flashed AND have individual debs I
can ftp/sftp to a embedded system and install if I want to -ie. I want
maximum flexibility :-)

I personally need both an ARM cross-compiled solution and x86 style
stuff - both of which I currenly test using QEMU  and i'm happy to
contribute where I can to that.   I guess I think a solution that is
extendable to other cross compilation targets would be ideal.

I'm not really familiar with the ubuntu (or debian ) build systems - are
there documentation pointers ?   I'd be nice to utilize that framework
as much as possible with cross-compilation hooks where appropriate.
Note:  I don't expect the resultant arch specific debs to be necessarily
made available publically, but being able to source packages from ubuntu
and use a common build system to *mostly* create a system I want/need is
a very good thing :-)

Cheers
Geoff