GLSCube - the semantic filesystem

John Richard Moser nigelenki at comcast.net
Tue Jul 11 18:47:16 BST 2006

Saad Shakhshir wrote:
> so do u think the Internet would be more manageable if it were organized
> like u said - heirarchically?  When was the last time you used Google
> Web Directory ( http://directory.google.com/
> <http://directory.google.com/>) or something similar that tries to
> organise websites into categories in order to find some information?
> Sure... it works, but it's a heck of a lot slower than doing a
> straightforward Google search.

search your hard drive >  find / -name \*tetris\*\.ogg

Or better (faster)

find /home/joe/media/music/\*tetris\*\.ogg

Note the internet IS organized by domain names and resource locators,
not fuzzy meta-data.  Searching is bolted on, not an inherent storage
mechanism; it will always be better bolted on.

Everyone wants to move away from hierarchical storage entirely, some
schools of thought want to remove the pathspec and turn the file system
into a meta-data driven RDBMS.  Other schools of thought are slightly
less radical, instead wanting to store the meta-data as part of the file
system and push that crap down to the kernel.  This is total crap and
people need to understand the difference between a useful tool like
Beagle and a pathological obsession.

>  Plus such organizational structures put
> the onus on the user to sit and organize all their files.  If it's not
> the user and it's some automated script, then what is the point.  Just
> make the script/program more intelligent and interactive so that the
> user does not need to worry at all about the underlying file structure.
>
> To the user, it does not matter how the files are stored under the
> hood.  What is important is that an abstracted interface is provided
> that enables them to retrieve the information they desire in a quick and
> intuitive manner.  So if I want all my dance music by DJ Tiesto, I
> shouldn't have to go to /home/user/music/dance/tiesto... first because
> it is more of a hassle than just opening up a prompt and typing "dance
> music tiesto" and second because not all my tiesto songs might be in
> that folder.  He has done lots of songs with other DJ's and these might
> be stored under other folders, like oakenfold or van buuren.  Tags are
> great because they allow you to have multiple attributes per file - the
> user isn't constrained to put the file in a single specific category.

Tell you what.  Go to every directory in your home dir that's not a
dot-directory, find all the files in it, and dump them straight in your
home directory. (126147 files for me).

- --
ubuntu-devel mailing list
ubuntu-devel at lists.ubuntu.com <mailto:ubuntu-devel at lists.ubuntu.com>