User-Friendly Firewalling [Re: ZeroConf in Ubuntu Edgy]

Rocco Stanzione grasshopper at linuxkungfu.org
Thu Jul 6 14:57:56 BST 2006

I do think a firewall should be system-wide.  We don't want individual users
clobbering each other's decisions about whether to allow PostgreSQL to be
accessible via the Internet, for example.  But the rules can be systemwide
while allowing certain users (say, those with sudo rights) to make
firewalling decisions.

This assumes a setup that sends all packets to a target like QUEUE, which in
turn sends the packets to a userspace daemon to render a verdict.  This is
how a lot of the popular win32 firewalls (including, I think I've heard, the
one built in to winxp sp2), and might be nice for a desktop machine.

While we're talking about firewalls, I'd like to point out that the package
(iptables) itself is badly out of date (bug #40601) and is built against a
hunk of kernel source that is even more badly out of date (#51044).  Fixing
these would give us access to a lot of nifty new features that could come in
handy when building a desktop firewall, including the ability to manipulate
the connection tracking table from userspace, for example to terminate
existing connections (which doesn't happen when making a new rule that would
have blocked a connection that already exists).

Rocco Stanzione