New ZeroConf Spec

Scott James Remnant scott at ubuntu.com
Tue Jul 4 14:25:05 BST 2006

On Mon, 2006-07-03 at 20:48 -0700, Dan Kegel wrote:

> There should be no exception: there should be no open ports by default.

This isn't actually entirely true; we currently have two open ports by
default:

If you're on a network with DHCP, the DHCP client listens on UDP port 68
to receive responses from the DHCP server.

And every time you make a DNS query, a UDP port is opened to receive the
response from the DNS server.

Both of these are issued from software that has a very long pedigree,
and of which we can be vaguely confident that it is not a security
problem.

Avahi isn't yet at that state, so it is not permitted an open port by
default.

Scott
--
Scott James Remnant