ZeroConf in Ubuntu Edgy

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at
Tue Jul 4 10:27:06 BST 2006

Hi Ivan and all others,

Ivan Krstic [2006-07-03 14:22 -0400]:
> Patrick McFarland wrote:
> > its that Ubuntu doesn't have a useful firewall app. What I'd like to see is
> > an actual useful GUI frontend for iptables, so I can add rules like "Block
> > multicast" or "Block for this service on Internet hosts only."
> This was bountied to Carsten Hey:
> I'm unaware of the current status. Pitti, do you know if this is coming
> along? At UBZ, we actually had a BOF about comprehensive (per-package)
> firewalling, which is where I'd really like us to go eventually, in
> addition to a pretty UI.

Unfortunately I know as little as you. I pinged him three times now,
and he promised to get back to me and send a report, but that didn't
happen so far.

That's quite sad, the design and the initial code I have seen last
summer looked quite promising. Let's hope...

Martin Pitt
Ubuntu Developer
Debian Developer

In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?