ZeroConf in Ubuntu Edgy

Patrick McFarland diablod3 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 4 01:55:42 BST 2006

On Monday 03 July 2006 20:35, Jan Moren wrote:
> I've vaguely followed this thread, but it seems to me there's two
> different use cases for zeroconf, only one of which really is about open
> ports.

Zeroconf is a small part of a big issue.

> I want it in Ubuntu; I want it really badly. But not to publish anything
> out to others, but for the simple function of finding and using other
> devices on the local network. Listening, not doing, in other words.

Thats what I've been saying.

> We have right now a printer at home attached to the local network. It
> gets its adress via DHCP from a router in the building, and naturally it
> gets a different adress each time. On the Mac therre is no problem at
> all; it discovers the printer whatever it happens to be called today and
> lets my gf use it completely transparently. I have yet to make this mess
> work under Ubuntu.

Thats a good example of why we need Zeroconf to work.

> After two days of frustration (including accidentally killing my ability
> to do ordinary DNS lookups at one point - that was fun), I have resorted
> to use avahi to find out which IP adress the printer currently has, then
> manually create a new printer in the printer configuration to print (no,
> for some reason just editing the existing printer giving it the new IP
> adress doesn't work). It sure saves on paper if nothing else.

Yuck.

> So disregarding all worry about iTunes, just having this enabled as a
> passive listenerand setup so that this kind of device detection setup
> works would really, really improve the desktop.

Yes, as I said earlier, we need to do what Apple does until we catch up to
OSX.

--
Patrick McFarland || www.AdTerrasPerAspera.com
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids,