Request: Automatic GRUB option in Dapper

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Tue Jan 31 15:01:50 GMT 2006

On Tue, Jan 31, 2006 at 04:50:03PM +0200, Jimmy Angelakos wrote:
> Colin Watson wrote:
> >Dapper already has a special rescue mode option that reinstalls GRUB on
> >the partition you select.
>
> Is that a pretty, newbie-friendly, GUI tool, I presume? (ncurses is
> perfectly fine)

It's in the same style as the rest of rescue mode, i.e. the same as the
traditional installer. If you're happy with ncurses-a-like interfaces
then it ought to be fine.

The main usability issue at the moment is that the interface doesn't
give you a visual hint on what's on each of the partitions it offers you
so that you have some idea which one to select. That's a generic issue
with rescue mode rather than just with GRUB reinstallation, though, and
should be fixable.

Cheers,