How come there is two init scripts to deal with the hardware clock at boot up?

martin f krafft madduck at debian.org
Sun Jan 29 21:57:03 GMT 2006

also sprach lanjelot <lanjelot at mailforce.net> [2006.01.29.1925 +0100]:
> I am trying to understand the reason why there is two init scripts for
> the same task: hwclockfirst.sh and hwclock.sh both set the system time
> from the hardware clock at boot up.
>
> Can you tell me what it is all about ?

Have you read the comments in the file? Hint: it's related to
timezone settings, which are only available after /usr is mounted,
but the clock is still initialised very early on for logging
purposes.

 .''`.     martin f. krafft <madduck at debian.org>
`. `'`

Invalid/expired PGP (sub)keys? Use subkeys.pgp.net as keyserver!

"there are two major products that come out of berkeley: lsd and unix.
 we don't believe this to be a coincidence."
                                                 -- jeremy s. anderson