Dapper wont boot

Thomas Beckett thomas.beckett at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 21:02:19 GMT 2006

I have been trying periodically since flight 2 to get Dapper up and
running. I can install fine with no problems at all but when the
installation finishes and the computer restarts, dapper does not boot.

After selecting Ubuntu from the grub menu it just prints the commands
and sits there doing nothing at all with a blinking cursor. I booted
from a Breezy live CD and chrooted into the Dapper install. From there
I installed the 2.6.12-9-386 kernel (this was when i used the flight 2
install and a daily a few days later) rebooting and selecting the
2.6.12-9 from grub allowed the computer to boot normally, restarting
and selecting the 2.6.15-11 again resulted in no boot and a system
that does nothing.
I then booted the live CD, chrooted and installed lilo to see if it
was grub at fault but again the 2.6.15 fails to boot whilst the 2.6.12
booted fine. I have tried all sorts of kernel switches but as the
kernel doesnt even uncompress (the next line that should be shows) the
switches are useless. My guess now is that it is a problem with the
2.6.15 initrd but I have no idea how to go about fixing it or finding
out if it is the problem. It also could be something specific to my
setup as I cant find any other reports similar to this.
I have entered this under bug #6550
https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/grub/+bug/6550

Anyone have any ideas or things I could try to narrow down the problem?

Thanks,
Tom