network magic blocked

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Thu Jan 19 19:47:19 GMT 2006

On Thu, Jan 19, 2006 at 04:09:43PM +0000, Scott James Remnant wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-01-19 at 16:40 +0200, Jane Weideman wrote:
>
> > BenC wouldn't it be a good idea to include a udev that supports the
> > possible next version of the kernel?
> >
> No, because supporting the next version would drop "mainline" support
> for the kernel version we ship!  There's compatibility support, but I'd
> rather we shipped with the tested stuff than the "this might work, but
> I'm on 2.6.16 now" stuff :)

Has anyone explained to udev upstream that we can't really continue this
way?  It was one thing to do this kind of transition once, but we can't
endure this every time there's a new kernel release.

> > BenC people have had lots of problems testing dapper kernels because the
> > udev/hotplug upgrade didn't allow them to go back
> >
> We don't support downgrades.

Booting older kernels is something which has traditionally worked, and we go
to some lengths in packaging the kernels to make this possible.

> > mdz JaneW: we need to unblock network-magic; please ask Keybuk if we can
> > just scanning for atheros chips for the sake of getting it in and
> > testing it
> >
> I can't test it because I only have Atheros chips ... it's in universe
> *now* for people who want to test it, and it seems to largely work for
> them, but needs changes made to not break other things.

I've installed network-manager from universe, but I don't get a new icon on
my panel.  If that doesn't happen, then we're severely limiting the testing
we can get.

> It's a bit pointless for me to do any work on n-m if I can't test whether
> it works or not <g>

It's been stalled for ages, and it's now nearly too late to put into Dapper
at all.  Canonical owns laptops with non-Atheros wireless chipsets; how
about borrowing one?

--
 - mdz