Membership and packaging management questions

Marek Habersack grendel at debian.org
Tue Jan 17 19:34:01 GMT 2006

On 1/17/06, Jani Monoses <jani.monoses at gmail.com> wrote:

> > To become a MOTU you need to be an Ubuntu member first, which means
> > you'll have to give a sustained and significant contribution to Ubuntu.
> > Sending patched to the MOTU is a good way of making such a
> > contribution :)
> >

> It looks like for DDs who can only afford to spend some time on a
> limited amount of packages, the existing process of becoming a member

That's my situation, basically. I don't have much free time to spend on
off-work activities, and then again I'd like to give something back to
Ubuntu. As much as I'd love to spend more time working on opensource
projects, these days my time resources are really limited (hopefully that'll
change some day :>)

could be a barrier. Can we call the maintenance of debian packages a
> sustained and significant contribution to Ubuntu? It is definitely a
> contribution even if indirect.

 And duplication of that effort on the Ubuntu side is not the best
distribution of resources, I'd say.

It would be nice to be able to lessen the burden on both the MOTUs and
> upstream packagers with the help of DDs who are willing to maintain and
> upload their packages in Ubuntu, but I am not sure how this fits in with
> our requirements amongst which are such elements as signing of a CoC,
> much enthusiasm and an almost fanatical devotion to the sabdfl.

I don't mind signing the CoC and being enthusiastic (I do think that Ubuntu
is the best desktop distro to date) but I think I'd fail the fanatical
devotion part :D

marek