Script to Automate Ubuntu Installer

Timo Aaltonen tjaalton at cc.hut.fi
Thu Jan 12 07:08:42 GMT 2006

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006, Daniel Robitaille wrote:

> On 12 Jan 2006 01:41:11 -0000, Michael <pnjgt4x02 at sneakemail.com> wrote:
>> Could someone tell me where to get information about how to write an
>>
>> installation script for the ubuntu installer? I'm helping with a project
>>
>> called Instlux, which Jordi Massaguer i Pla mailed this list about a couple days ago. Instlux will gather information from the Windows registry, ask the user how much space to give linux, and write that information to an installation script. The computer will restart and, using grub4dos, load the ubuntu installer, which will automatically partition the disk, copy the linux distribution, and configure the system based on the information in the installation script. I haven't been able to find any documentation on how to write such a script for the ubuntu installer, though, so I would be very grateful if someone could point me the way. Thank you for your help.
>
> are you are looking at doing something like FAI (Fully Automatic Installation)?
>  http://faiwiki.informatik.uni-koeln.de/index.php/Installing_Ubuntu_Linux_with_FAI

D-I is IMHO better because it doesn't need NFS, so you can install behind
more secure networks ;)

I've had an automated setup since hoary and updated it to dapper a few
weeks back. Perhaps there should be a "best-practises" page for d-i
somewhere, because d-i is a moving target so some stuff won't work the way
you'd assume (like, for dapper the locales setup or preseeding pkgsel
with your own package list).

Or should it be integrated into the installation-guide? Besides, could i-g
reside (even for the development version) on help.ubuntu.com and not just
as a package? :)