cron, atd, anacron, other wtf

Sandis Neilands sandisn at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 16:20:08 GMT 2006

Hello!

> Here's a list of useless things I've noticed in rc3.d and rc5.d:
>
>  S20rsync:  rsyncd -- rsync can work over ssh without an rsyncd; we
>             hardly need that running or attempting to run unless
>             specifically configured.  It doesn't even start by default
>             anyway, the script just pokes at defaults and decides you
>             don't want to start it.
>  S89cron
>  S89anacron
>  S89atd:    Periodic Command schedulers -- THREE?  Please pick one to
>             use and stick with it.  If we need to use others, we'll turn
>             them on, we obviously know what we're doing if we know we
>             need any of these
>
> The question of sysklogd and klogd comes to mind as well-- are these
> different, do we need 2?

How about cupsys and hplip on machines without printer?
And bunch of laptop services on desktop machines?
And lvm/evms?

I mean if it's not possible to determine if the machine is laptop
automatically then it should be asked during installation. And
cupsys/hplip should be started only if the printer is avaible.

--
Sandis