Fluendo MP3 GStreamer Plugin in Main for Dapper?

James Livingston doclivingston at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 07:33:14 GMT 2006

On Mon, 2006-01-09 at 15:41 +0100, JanC wrote:
> On 1/9/06, James Livingston <doclivingston at gmail.com> wrote:
> > The only solutions that anyone has mentioned are a) not shipping the
> > plugin, or b) not shipping any GPL'd software that uses GStreamer.
>
> c) providing GPL'ed applications that use GStreamer with some way to
> dicriminate against non-free plugins (either refusing to play them, or
> asking the user to check their local law & local patent office whether
> they can run this plugin legally).

That sounds like a possible solution. If an application loading both a
GPL'd plugin and a GPL-incompatible plugin is an issue, then it would
probably be more complicated.

I've just thought of a possible (d). What if the decoding code was run
in a separate process, and the gstreamer element controlled it (via a
socket, dbus or something)? The element wouldn't contain any code
affected by patents, and the decoding process wouldn't be linked to
GPL'd code. You would lose some efficiency, but I doubt there would be
legal issues (of course IANAL).

Cheers,

James "Doc" Livingston
--
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been.
    -- Gerald Ford