Gettext depending on libgcj

Abel Cheung abelcheung at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 09:09:41 GMT 2006

On 1/5/06, Matt Zimmerman <mdz at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 06:11:51PM +0000, Mark Syms wrote:
> > Why is gettext in Dapper depending on libgcj? As far as I can tell there
> > are no Java components in gettext and I really don't want to have any of
> > the gcj components installed on my system, particularly as I have the
> > Sun development kit installed. The Debian package doesn't have this
> > dependency so why has it been added? If there are Java components that I
> > missed then these should be in a separate package that is only installed
> > if required.
>
> It does contain Java components, and that's why it depends on libgcj.
> Why is it a problem for you to have both libgcj and the Sun JDK installed?
> That should work fine.

However, this dependency looks like too cumbersome. gettext java
component is only used for extracting Java l10n strings or writing
java classes, which is not used by any "normal" users IMHO.
Is splitting of java stuff an appropriate thing to do?

Abel

> --
>  - mdz

Abel Cheung   (GPG Key: 0xC67186FF)
Key fingerprint: 671C C7AE EFB5 110C D6D1  41EE 4152 E1F1 C671 86FF