2c about the development of ubuntu

Shot - Piotr Szotkowski shot at hot.pl
Mon Jan 2 09:12:53 GMT 2006

Hello.

Mike Bird:

> On Sun, 2006-01-01 at 14:49, Shot - Piotr Szotkowski wrote:

>> Udo 'Robos' Puetz:

>>> And why does ubuntu have to cater the servers?
>>> Doesn't debian do this *very* good?

>> No. Debian stable doesn't have PHP 5 packages, and that's just a tip
>> of the 'let's release stable once every three years' iceberg. Also,
>> security-wise, Canonical supports Ubuntu main better than Debian
>> supports (much bigger, granted) Debian main.

> The comparison is Ubuntu Dapper versus Debian Unstable.  You have
> written that Dapper is less stable then Debian Unstable, and I agree.

Ubuntu Dapper vs. Debian unstable is one of the OP's issues.
It doesn't have anything to do with the other issue, Ubuntu
targeting the server market.

> However both have PHP5.

That's irrelevant. I doubt anybody uses (nor, IMHO, anybody should
use) Debian unstable or Ubuntu Dapper on production servers.

> Indeed, Debian Testing also has php5,
> and that's much more stable than Dapper.

AFAIK, there's still no security support for Debian testing, so
using it on production servers is not really feasible. Stable and
security-supported Ubuntu has PHP 5, stable and security-supported
Debian doesn't. And, as I said, PHP 5 is only the tip of the iceberg.

Of course, chosing Ubuntu over Debian on servers is far from being
an obvious decision; as soon as you use any universe packages you're
on your own when it comes to security support. See, for example,
Malone #5297 - easily fixable security hole in Breezy's Trac, reported
a month ago, and not even commeted by anyone except the submitter:
https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/trac/+bug/5297

Still, I'd rather use Ubuntu stable and track the few non-supported
packages like Trac myself (porting them from Debian if needed be)
than use Debian stable and have to track things like PHP security.

Cheers,
-- Shot
--
    > I've gone through over-stressed to physical exhaustion - what's next?
    Tuesday.                                   -- Simon Burr and Kyle Hearn
====================== http://shot.pl/hovercraft/ === http://shot.pl/1/125/ ===