Alternative Init System

Tristan Wibberley maihem at maihem.org
Mon Feb 27 23:25:41 GMT 2006

Phillip Susi wrote:
> Corey Burger wrote:
>> There does exist a few solutions out there, all of which are suboptimal
>>
>> Init-ng - Mostly a hack
>
> How is Init-ng mostly a hack?  I have not looked into it too deeply yet,
> but it sounds like it handles the dependency issue properly while
> parallelizing as much as possible.  NT has been doing this for well over
> a decade now so it would be really nice to start seriously pushing such
> a solution in a Linux environment.

NT does not handle this properly. Service granular dependency is not
even descriptive enough to cope properly with the needs of the services
of a plain Exchange server. That's why you get mysterious warnings and
errors in the event log that are not warnings and errors. I think
feature granular dependency is required, IMHO, which requires that
services all just start and block early, either on IO, or waiting for
the features they depend on to start.

It means dependencies can be discovered from service configurations
rather than being statically conservative, and parallelism is used to
the utmost.

--
Tristan Wibberley